Thursday, December 15, 2011

Katelynn Havener Homework #10

               Although we did not study this topic in great depth, I personally enjoyed our class discussions on social networking. I truly believe that Twitter and Facebook have become the future of technology. I also have used these two web-based information systems throughout my college career, both socially and professionally. I first started to understand the ways in which businesses can adopt social media practices all the way back during my internship Junior year. Many of my clients asked my Public Relations firm to set-up and manage Twitter and Facebook accounts of a means of free-advertising. This MIS class taught me how wide-spread the effects of social networking are. These websites which are entirely user generated and ran, now have the versatility to be accessed anywhere at any time through the use of portable info systems (iPads, laptops, smart phones etc.). I know that I will use this information in my professional life, especially if I pursue a career in the communications field. I am sure social media will even have a bigger hype by the time I am working full-time.

                Another topic which I enjoyed was learning about Bluetooth technology. I never really understood this product, and did not know its use beyond hands-free talk. From my research and class discussion, I have discovered that this form of technology can be found in GPS devices, to heart and health monitors. Bluetooth technology is much more extensive than I originally assumed and once thought. I think this information directly pertains to my professional life, because I never know when I will come across one of these products in my workplace, or will need it to complete a task or job-function. I might even be more likely to purchase one of these products now that I have learned its capabilities!


                Overall, this class really helped me better understand information systems. I had also kept this area of the business world as a ‘mysterious’ topic, and unknown territory, because I do not have much experience in the world of technology. I think I will be a bit more adventurous, and may now take the initiative to stay on top of information systems news and trends! This class has taught me how to use Microsoft Access, how to blog, how information systems are applied in the business world, and the many possibilities and career opportunities in MIS. I am glad to have had the opportunity to take this class with you all, and wish you the best of luck in your future semesters at Nichols. J

No comments: